Saturday, October 22, 2005

It's All About the Leftovers...

You know that ever popular question about what you would take with you if you were stuck on a deserted island? Well, I’ve been thinking about that. Why does no one ever mention food and water? I mean, how long does a bunch of CDs and attractive mates last when you have nothing to eat? I guess if they’re attractive enough after a week or two, you could eat them, but that’s just a seriously gross thought.

So my question is this: If you where stranded somewhere with only a handful of people, where would you want to be? The desert? Up in the mountains where it’s freezing cold all the time? Or some place in between, maybe? Where do you think you could survive the longest?

If it were me, I think I would want to be in the mountains. Yes, the mountains, where it’s freezing cold. I know how crazy that sounds, but I have two very good reasons it. One, I really don’t look good in a bikini, and with this skin, I'd be burned up in less than half a day and probably be so miserable that I'd want to die. Two has to do with the leftovers. I am all over the leftovers.

In a warmer climate, you just can’t get good leftovers. If you kill something, you have to cook it and eat it pretty quick (unless you know how to salt it, which I don’t,) and you end up spending most of your time looking for food. Who wants to live like that? Of course, you can always go out and pick a bunch of fruits and veggies if they’re available, but again, they spoil after a few days or so and you have to go find more.

But in a cooler climate, you can go out and shoot a deer or something, and it will last you for months because you can keep it on ice! And if you really want fruits and veggies, you can always hike down to the bottom of the mountain once a year and bring it back up and freeze it. Of course, you may have to spend an extra day or two a month cutting up firewood, but in the long run, just think of all the time you would save! Plenty of time to cozy up by the fire and enjoy a good book, or plenty of time to get busy with the hottie you brought with ;o)

7 Comments:

Blogger Mike Leslie said...

you pose a good question. the mountains certainly do provide a way to freeze things. I think that a swiss family robinson set up wouldnt be too bad though. Instead of packing things away all the time you become a hunter gatherer. Of course I like the sun and warm weather...but I could do the mountains too...hmmm, thats a hard one.

5:12 PM  
Blogger RT said...

Someone beat me to the question, Jill???

That sucks.

7:36 PM  
Blogger Martin said...

I'd say stranded in a Wal-mart. Once the frozen food is gone, I'd hit the dry and canned items, then I'd start with the plants in the garden section (they are perishable of course,) then I'd work my way into the women's department and consume all the pink items (because it is a useless color) leaving the bras alone because they never harmed anyone and the wire support might chip a tooth. I figure that I could probably last a good 6 months before scurvy set in unless I rationed off the Tang.

8:22 PM  
Blogger Teri said...

You need to watch the new discovery channel series called survivor man. They drop him off at different locations and he has to live off the land for about a week. He tells you what plants and bugs to eat and shows you how to survive in any climate etc... It is interesting and gross all at the same time. He once made a net out of his Scooby Doo underwear to catch fish.

Personally I would say tropical island first choice, but then dealing with the bugs.. hmm not sure, you bring up some really good points about the mountain.. how about a mountain that is situated on a tropical island? With a beautiful waterfall and refreshing lake.. ok stop me now or I can go on and on.

10:12 PM  
Blogger RT said...

Well go on!

10:17 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

I'd want to be on an uninhabited island (similar to Maui) somewhere in the Pacific.

Plenty of water, lots of food, and great weather.

What more could you want?

10:04 AM  
Blogger RT said...

Sex?

10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home