Tuesday, May 24, 2005

How Rude

I usually tend to ignore rude behavior because it seems that by acknowledging it, you’re also encouraging it. However, today I had to put my foot down.

Some family members invited themselves over for dinner (as they often do) and talked my mother into cooking it for them. I don’t have a problem with that because they usually take turns cooking, so it all evens out. My problem was that this time, as mom was taking the food out of the oven, everyone disappeared! One took off for a meeting she knew ahead of time that she would have to attend, and two others decided to go shopping! So, after at least an hour of cooking, my mom and I sat down to a feast, alone. Then! one of her friends called on the phone. I heard mom say very clearly that we were just sitting down for dinner, but the person she was talking to must have been oblivious because the conversation continued for another 20 minutes!

Afterwards, it occurred to me that we have somehow allowed this type of rudeness to become the norm, and that I’ve probably played a part in it by keeping quiet. Well no more, I tell you! If you want to be rude to my face, be prepared to hear about it!

In turn, are there any behaviors you feel are rude, but may be afraid to state because they’ve become a normal way of life?

6 Comments:

Blogger Jenn Doll said...

It's all about respect. No one has that these day's. And it's so very easy to give. It's all sad, if you really think about it.

4:52 AM  
Blogger Martin said...

I think that I'm overly observant of being polite. If I hold a door open for someone, I worry if another person is 50 yards from the door and I let it go. I'm the first to move out of someone's way even if I'm in a rush. But, I've started to lose it with people walking towards me. Especially if 4 of them are together and they have to walk equally in step to see each other which means no one can pass. I think it is lack of respect for others that diminishes someone the most in my eyes.

8:20 PM  
Blogger thc said...

Thanks for speaking out!

I'm afraid people today have not been taught by their parents and they, in turn, won't teach their kids.

9:52 PM  
Blogger FantasticAlice said...

Rude is one thing, but RUDE to a MOM, now that is hateful.

Sounds like you need to kick a family members butt!

1:49 PM  
Blogger Jenn Doll said...

I know I left a comment here the other day, but where is it?! :o\

Anyhow, I said, it's all about respect. It's so hard for people to do these day's.

8:05 PM  
Blogger RT said...

OK, I got to thinking about what you guys are saying about parents teaching manners... I'm not sure I can say that my parents taught me many, I think it was more friends and experiences. I mean, I'm sure they taught me some, but for the most part... Yeah, it was friends and experience. That whole "do unto others" thing.

12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home