Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Lesson Learned

The Magic of 8 Ball

Will I ever find the man of my dreams, my one true love, my Soul Mate
Magic 8 Ball says: Reply Hazy, Try Again

Will I ever find the man of my dreams, my one true love, my Soul Mate
Magic 8 Ball says: Concentrate and Ask Again

Will I ever find the man of my dreams, my one true love, my Soul Mate
Magic 8 Ball says: Ask Again Later

Will I ever find the man of my dreams, my one true love, my Soul Mate
Magic 8 Ball says: Cannot Predict Now

Will I ever find the man of my dreams, my one true love, my Soul Mate
Magic 8 Ball says: Better Not Tell You Now

Will I ever find the man of my dreams, my one true love, my Soul Mate
Long Distance Information Operator says: What?


Well, my weekend date was a bust. Shawn was suppose to tell this guy where and when to meet us, but he didn’t, he thought Dakni had already set it up. Which she didn’t because it was Shawn’s friend and she was leaving it to him. No biggie, it was a blind date with a 50 yr old toothless iron worker, and while I was willing to keep an open mind...

But! I did realized something fairly new about myself this weekend.

I’ve always stuck to the saying that ‘looks aren’t everything’, but in all honesty, I’ve always thought that they are pretty darn important. I stick to the saying because I believe that everyone is beautiful to someone, and I never want a person to be discouraged because of how they look. The truth of what I've been claiming really struck home Saturday night when I met a guy that I would not normally find attractive, but did after talking to him for just a short time.

While you may think that I’m being shallow for admitting that looks matter, I assure you, my tastes are pretty simple, really. I like a guy that’s taller than me, wider than me, neatly kept, and sans a wedding ring. In my old age, I've even become lenient on the taller than me and neatly kept parts, but I'm still a stickler about the wider than me part. This guy had all those things going for him except that. ‘Except’ that to the point of making me look obese, which those of you who know me will find the humor in that.

Now I'm thinking that my past judgmental-ness (is that a word?) may not have been so wise. Ultimately, what attracts me to this guy is his brain, and that's something I would have never found out had it been left up to me.

(I mean, the dude knows all kinds of stuff! He’s current on local sports, TV stuff, computers, music, and he’s even into Sudoku -which was funny, my sister started to make fun of me for being addicted, but stopped when he got all excited and brought out a new form of the puzzle for me to try. He actually took up for me twice -in a manner of speaking. Once with the puzzles, and a second time when my sister made a crack about how I would learn more if I would watch more TV and quit playing on the computer all the time. It wasn’t much, it was just a chuckle when my jaw hit the floor, but I knew he got the jest of that, and that means a lot to me.)

So whether I'll pursue this any further is still up in the air -it was the chance meeting of someone I will probably never run into again- but I'm laying this out right now to remind my future self not to be so hasty when it comes to the ‘looks’ department. ‘Cause ya just never know.

9 Comments:

Blogger Jay Noel said...

You never know, that's true. But NEVER settle!

1:42 PM  
Blogger Mike Leslie said...

Never EVER settle! I recently went on a date with a gal from my math class that is 6'3" and I am 6' (actually 5' 11 and 3/4"). I am a big guy (broad sholders and overweight) so that is one of her things, the guy has to be bigger than she is if he is not taller than she is. It may or may not develop into something, she does have three kids from a previous marriage and her divorce was her leaving her ex cause she found someone else (adultry) which makes me somewhat wary of her. I don't want to be cheated on thats for damn sure. So I am taking it slow to see what, if anything, develops. Looks are important to everyone, its just like you said, one persons beautiful is another's ugly. THis gal is very pretty and she has a good brain in her head so heaven knows.

2:54 PM  
Blogger LoraLoo said...

Let's face it - looks are what usually initiates the conversation, right? But not always, as you found out. My husband was someone I considered "not my type" as far as looks go. We'll be happily married for 6 years this year. Go figure.

I think you need a new Magic 8 Ball, that one is definitely having some decision issues. I asked the same question for you of MY Magic 8 ball, and the answer was "Yes, Definitely". :)

3:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey RT I have this old toothless iron worker friend of mine that I was thinking of introducing you to, but my magic 8-ball said it 'does not look favorable' so I guess you are out of luck (By the way, I do own a magic 8 ball which site on my second desk in the library)...

8:55 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

I think you should find this guy's number, call him, and see if there's anything more to talk about. Go for it, there may be something there.

9:58 PM  
Blogger Jenn Doll said...

There are a couple of guys I ended up liking based off personality. They were no one I'd look at twice. But, after getting to know them I saw them from a different light.

Never settle! But, give him a chance... You never know!

11:04 AM  
Blogger RT said...

I don't settle, Phoenix. That's why I'm still single, lol. But I do try to keep an open mind when it comes to a first date.

I did have to get a new 8 Ball shortly before Christmas because the old didn't have enough water to answer anymore... And it's sitting on the shelf right behind me :o)

It doesn't look to favorable for the old toothless iron worker here either, lol. But I think I am going to try to find out more about the guy I met. I'll have to be very careful about it because it's my sister's dentist, and if she thinks I'm even the least bit interested, she'll find a way to sabatage it.

5:09 PM  
Blogger Teri said...

I think more than looks it is the chemistry. You can just feel it.

I agree I find intelligence one of the most important factors for being with someone. I guess that is why I married a man with a very high IQ (I just need to work on the common sense part of him...sigh)

8:55 PM  
Blogger Martin said...

I'm really liking Linny's card idea. I think I'd be a bit more offensive though.

I also agree that you should never settle. If you are happy with who you are and what makes you special, you won't allow yourself to settle either. And from the pics that I've seen, you don't have to.

6:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home