Friday, December 16, 2005

The Road Less Traveled

I actually posted this elsewhere, but I want to add it here as well because it seems so appropriate at the time.

Life is difficult.

This is a great truth, one of the greatest truths. It is a great truth because once we truly see this truth, we transcend it. Once we truly know that life is difficult -once we truly understand and accept it- then life is no longer difficult. Because once it is accepted, the fact that life is difficult no longer matters.

Most do not fully see this truth that life is difficult. Instead they moan more or less incessantly, noisily or subtly, about the enormity of their problems, their burdens, and their difficulties as if life were generally easy, as if life should be easy. They voice their belief, noisily or subtly, that their difficulties represent a unique kind of affliction that should not be and that has somehow been especially visited upon them, or else upon their families, their tribe, their class, their nation, their race or even their species, and not upon others. I know about this moaning because I have done my share.

Life is a series of problems. Do we want to moan about them or solve them? Do we want to teach our children to solve them?

Discipline is the basic set of tools we require to solve life's problems. Without discipline we can solve nothing. With only some discipline we can solve only some problems. With total discipline we can solve all problems.

What makes life difficult is that the process of confronting and solving problems is a painful one. Problems, depending upon their nature, evoke in us frustration or grief or sadness or loneliness or guilt or regret or anger or fear or anxiety or anguish or despair. These are uncomfortable feelings, often very uncomfortable, often as painful as any kind of physical pain, sometimes equaling the very worst kind of physical pain. Indeed, it is because of the pain that events or conflict engender in us that we call them problems. And since life poses an endless series of problems, life is always difficult and is full of pain as well as joy.

Yet it is in this whole process of meeting and solving problems that life has its meaning. Problems are the cutting edge that distinguishes between success and failure. Problems call forth our courage and our wisdom; indeed, they create our courage and our wisdom. It is only because of problems that we grow mentally and spiritually. When we desire to encourage the growth of the human spirit, we challenge and encourage the human capacity to solve problems, just as in school we deliberately set problems for our children to solve. It is through the pain of confronting and resolving problems that we learn. As Benjamin Franklin said, "Those things that hurt, instruct." It is for this reason that wise people learn not to dread but actually to welcome problems and actually to welcome the pain of problems.


This is the opening page of The Road Less Traveled, by M. Scott Peck. It's probably the first 'self-help' book that I read (after Jonathan Livingston Seagull) and it's played an important role in my life, although mostly on a subconscious level. This is especially true today as I see people withering in self-contempt. I often don't understand the destruction we bring on ourselves. Which, ironically, is my difficulty in life.

I'm curious, are there any books or passages that have changed the way you view life or yourself? And what are they? And why?

10 Comments:

Blogger Fred said...

My simple rule came from one of my mentors at work, who was instrumental in my success in the corporate world. He told me, "creating conflict solves conflict."

He was right. Too many people shy away from a difficult discussion for fear of hurting or offending someone, and nothing is solved. So, he taught me that it was okay to inflame the situation in order to resolve it quicker.

For the most part, he was right. To this day, I'm not afraid to confront someone to solve the issue, no matter who they are.

9:48 AM  
Blogger Bar L. said...

I've been trying to think of something...the only thing I can think of, that has helped me forgive my family, is that :

Hurt people hurt people.

9:40 PM  
Blogger Teri said...

Wow that was healing reading this today. I just got off the phone with my sister who is blaming me for her problems with the family. I needed that :)

11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

its called "You'll see it when you believe it" By Dr. Wayne Dyer. this book has tought me that i can direct the course of my own destiny and that my destiny is what ever i want it to be. i could choose to be homeless and begging for food if i want that as my destiny. i strongly reccomend this book to everyone and anyone who feels that there is more to life than just this shell we call our body. "we are more than human beings having a spiritual experience, we are spiritual beings having a human experience". ponder that for a few moments.

12:58 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

How about this from Richard Bach's Illusions the Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah

...Argue for your limitations and sure enough they are yours...

8:27 PM  
Blogger RT said...

Wow. Those are some good ones!

Linny: I love that poem! I don't think I agree with it, but it's nice and creepy, and I love creepy. (rotting meat and festering sores, lol.)

Fred: How do you create conflict? I've found that one of the best ways is to simply ask questions. I'm amazed by how many people (myself included) don't really give much thought to what they're saying, and by asking questions, you give them the chance to think about it, without really offending them. Does that makes sense? It does in my head, lol.

Well Woman: So, if you're hurting someone, you have to think about why you're compelled to do so? I like that.

Teri: I still think we have the same sister! Seriously, I just got past a huge hurdle concerning my family on Thanksgiving. My older sister is the family favorite and she loves to rub my nose in it. It used to bother me quite a bit, but then I realized, why do I care if she's the favorite? I hardly even know these people, and they sure as hell don't know me... So why do I need their approval? It's just silly!

Anyway, glad the post helped ya some :o) It's done wonders for me.

Johnny: Dr. Wayne Dyer... Dr. Wayne Dyer... Why does that name sound so familiar?

Oh yeah! Maybe it's because you've mentioned him about 50 billion times! LoL, I'm kidding. I'll pick up the book next time I go to the library :o)

DDG: Is that the book that came after One? I think I might have read it, but I'm not sure. I did read a few of his books, but it's been so long ago.

12:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Actually Illusions was his second book after Jonathon Livingston Seagull. One was like his 7th or 8th book.

8:11 PM  
Blogger RT said...

Well of course I still love you... Don't be silly.

I'm just still trying to figure yours out. I mean, I kinda get it, but if you're being stabbed with a sword (my mental image of a warrior) do ya really care how compassionate the person who's stabbing you is?

Seems like it's just something to make the 'warrior' feel better about his actions.

Or am I way off?

DDG: Told you it's been a long time, lol.

10:48 PM  
Blogger Jenn Doll said...

Death has changed how I live my life... Losing many close to me has taught me that life is really too short. "While alive, live." - Malcolm Forbes

Merry Christmas to you and yours, Liv! XOXO

4:42 AM  
Blogger RT said...

You guys ROCK! For listening, and for teaching...

I love you all!

1:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home