Saturday, November 19, 2005

Have you ever been in one of those modes when you have so much to say, that you get brain overload?

I know it’s been a while since I’ve posted, but I have all these thoughts, all these issues... It’s just hard to sort them out and put them into words.

Two minor issues (for me, I don’t mean to minimize it for anyone else,) that I'm thinking about right now are Teri’s issues with her family, and the fact that some dude I know has a problem that I said I was conservative. My major issues are still on racism and the war.

To Teri, I say... Enjoy the drama! Every family has it, and as insane as it may sound, the dynamics of family can be very interesting and thought provoking at times.

Think of it this way, we tend to block out people who bring us down, or challenge our way of life too much (call it survival instincts,) so we learn more from family, which we can’t change. We know (or at least, we think we know) everything about them and that history plays a big part in how we handle certain situations.

The trick is to be objective about their problems. There’s always going to be something, with them, or with you and them (the pendulum swings round and round)... Be supportive of each, enjoy their company! Be tactful with each, but make sure you say what you feel. Be prepared to pay the consequences. But remember, whether they like it or not, you are their sibling, and they can’t choose either.

To that dude that totally cut me off when I said I was conservative... I consider the problem yours, not mine. Had you taken the time to think about what you already know of me, and questioned why I say what I say... You may have actually learned something. Or taught me something.

Your loss either way. A person is so much more than politics, despite your limited view.

Right now, my life is so much more than I feel I can handle... And that’s what I love about it.

15 Comments:

Blogger Fred said...

Welcome back. I also follow Teri's blog; I'm hoping everything turns out okay.

I'll be back tomorrow with an insightful comment. I hope.

1:08 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Its the pay the consequences part that teri always has trouble with. She tries to analyze everyone logically with her worldview and sometimes the childnessness of people just floors her.

12:36 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

I'm back. Nothing insightful. Not unusual.

2:08 PM  
Blogger Mike Leslie said...

Welcome Back! Where ya been?

8:51 PM  
Blogger Bar L. said...

Glad your back! So you like to thrive on the busyness and craziness of life? It does make things much more interesting.

10:06 PM  
Blogger Martin said...

Being open to another person's point of view is the hardest thing for many people to do. If only some people can suspend their own bias and beliefs for a moment to hear another side, it might stop the hit and run tactics of that poster you mentioned.

3:45 AM  
Blogger RT said...

LoL Davy, yep siblings often do act childish around each other... Isn't that weird? I'm 37 years old, but a few minutes with the fam and I feel like I'm ten again. I mean that advice for Teri, but I also need it for myself. I have to remember to enjoy this Holiday season, no matter what they throw at me! (And they will, they always do. It's even started already.)

Martin, it wasn't a poster, this is actually someone I know in person and we talk all the time. He's a pretty cool guy with some good advice, and I still like him. So instead of feeling hurt (which, I guess is easier for me to do, because I'm not really all that conservative anyway, lol) I've decided that I'm going to make his life miserable by teasing him relentlessly (with a smile) until he realizes how silly he's being. Maybe if he knows I'm not going away, he'll lighten up and actually talk to me about some of the things that bother him about conservatives... 'Cause I suspect he's not as liberal as he thinks he is.

12:04 PM  
Blogger David Amulet said...

Someone getting mad at you because you said you were conservative reveals more about their isseu with labels than anything about you. You've vented about it ... which may be even more effort than it deserved. Be cognizant of how others interpret the labels you give yourself, but don't sweat it. If they can't see beyond a word, that's their problem.

You have a fun writing style to follow--keep up the good blogging!

-- david

8:58 PM  
Blogger Teri said...

Rt- I am so glad you are back! Thank you for your usual good advice and insight. I think I am having a hard time dealing with this because I really never had to deal with this before. I guess I just need to count my blessings and realize that I have been really fortunate.

Enough about me, what has been going on in your life. You said it is so much more than you can handle, I think it is your turn to share. :)

9:50 PM  
Blogger Jenn Doll said...

Right now...

5:14 AM  
Blogger RT said...

Where we goin'?

10:02 PM  
Blogger Teri said...

A road trip to Vegas maybe? hahahah

10:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You think we could fit them all in the spare-oom?

11:43 PM  
Blogger RT said...

I call dibs on the bed!

10:18 AM  
Blogger Fred said...

If it's Vegas, I'll even take the floor. I usually don't sleep that much anyway.

11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home