Monday, October 11, 2004

Just Another Day...

Thought of the Day:
This thought comes from a conversation I had with a friend earlier today. She was offended by the advances made toward her by a bandmate. Rather than telling him point blank that she found his behavior offensive, she started doubting herself and her own behavior around him, leaving him to believe that his advances were acceptable, if not welcomed.

It reminded me of another conversation I recently had with a family member.

I find exactly two words in the English language to be extremely offensive. Unfortunately, one of those words just happens to be very popular in this area. I always make a point of saying something when the word is used around me and sometimes the person will be considerate stop using it, and sometimes they don't. Either way, I know I spoke up.

In retrospect, both of these situations are similar in the way they should probably be handled. If someone offends you, don't dwell on it, tell them. Be polite, but firm. You don't have to be rude to get your point across, because chances are, they didn't mean to offend you. (If they did, you usually know it and that's whole different story!) If you unintentionally offend someone else and they tell you, don't go on the defense and start hurling insults to distract, take what they say into consideration and if necessary, apologize and try not to do it again. Just keep in mind that nobody's perfect and everyone is bound to offend someone else at one time or another, don't take it personally.

This may sound like a simple solution, but I'm amazed at how seldom people use it.

Music:
Song of the day: "Why Can't We Be Friends" -War

Movie Pic:
Anything but a Steven Seagal movie! (Is it just me, or is he getting way too old and puffy to be playing one of those macho, karate chop type guys?)

Quote of the Day:
I believe in looking reality straight in the eye and denying it. - Garrison Keillor

Cheers! to:
The person who created Post-Its!

1 Comments:

Blogger RT said...

Oh! What did you do and who did you piss off???

And what do you mean, extractionS? What happened???

Hope tomorrow is better for ya, hun! And I'll do my best to make sure it is :o)

1:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home