Tuesday, May 31, 2005

I Love WinMX!

I know that a lot of bands don’t like having their music "given away" but I think they totally underestimate the power of word of mouth (or maybe they only discourage it because they know they suck!)

I usually use WinMX to download songs that I have, and I'm just too lazy to look for the CD for a single track (I have hundreds if not thousands of CDs and while I have them in books, it’s still easier to just download them,) but I find that the best thing about it is when you get into a conversation with someone who shares your music interests. They can remind you of songs you’ve forgotten, or songs that you like but never knew who did them, or ones that you may have never heard otherwise. It doesn’t happen often but when it does, it’s heaven! This happened to me the other day and I feel the need to share it.

I love -LOVE- 80s music. I had a particular urge for Radioactive by The Firm, so I hooked up to this person who obviously has similar taste and he/she turned me on to a few songs that I knew, but didn’t know I knew. This is what I got:

Beloved - Sweet Harmony
Beloved - The Sun Rising
Donnie Iris - Ah! Leah!

Beloved! I don’t think I’ve ever heard of the band, but I knew those songs as soon as I heard them! Now I’m on a mission to find their CDs in stores to see what else they have that I’ll like! I just wish the major bands would get a clue and stop hounding these sites because they think they will lose sales. In my mind, it’s just the opposite, if I hear a couple of songs by them and I like them, I will buy the CD.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jenn Doll said...

RT! I have some Beloved CD's. I'm all about the music! Love to share it, love to be turned on to it. Wow! Didn't think you'd like some hardcore. And from what I know, there's only one Beloved. And if you like them, I'm sure I can find some other stuff you'd like. One of my favorite hardcore songs is from the band "From Autumn To Ashes," it's called "Short Stories With Tragic Endings."

And now that I got all excited and left that comment, I did a little research and we're NOT talking about the same Beloved. Boo. BUT, I did listen to some of what you're talking about and it sounds pretty good.

Why did I think we weren't talking about the same Beloved? You said "80's music." So then I got smart 'n stuff.

Anyhow, I really do listen to EVERYTHING! Even the mainstream bullshit. But I listen to the mainstream (hiphop) because I live to dance and dance to live. Unfortuneatly hiphop has the beats I need to shake my ass! Then there's techno, salsa, cumbia and then some, but yeah, I'm ranting about whatever now.

So, the point I think I started at was, let's share music!!

3:12 AM  
Blogger LoraLoo said...

I'm going to have to look in to Beloved, and check it out.

I know what you mean when you find a fellow music junkie. I get so happy when I meet someone I can talk music with!!

WinMX rocks. I have used it for a few years. I don't get to sign on there much lately, but you've made me want to find some time!!

12:25 AM  
Blogger RT said...

Cool! You guys will have to look for me when you're using WinMX, I go by angrypacifist over there.

Jenn! I downloaded that From Autumn To Ashes song. It sounded so cool... And then they started singing. I do like though! It just caught me a little off gaurd, lol. I wonder if Jill has heard them, I bet she would like it too.

3:25 AM  
Blogger Martin said...

I'm shocked that you mentioned The Beloved as I have been a big fan of theirs since their 1990 sophomore album, Happiness, was released. The album (one of my favorites all the way through) had a hit with "Hello" and is full of some great lyrics and dance rhythms. Jon Marsh has an amazing voice.

You can hear some songs from the album at: http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/store/artist/album/0,,50800,00.html

I found 5 copies of Happiness for $3.99 each at Second Spin for you: http://secondspin.com/buy/musdtl.cfm?SID=563845272533&mAlbum=2054018&sp=1&nu=u&sr=1&er=25&sb=ar&st=the%20beloved

They then released Conscience which had "Sweet Harmony" (which made an appearance on Beavis And Butthead) but wasn't as cohesive as if guitarist Steve Waddington leaving the band left too big a hole for Helena Marsh to fill.

I found 3 copies of Conscience for $5.99 each there also: http://secondspin.com/buy/musdtl.cfm?SID=563845272533&mAlbum=2054267&sp=1&nu=u&sr=1&er=25&sb=ar&st=the%20beloved

You can hear some of the songs from that one here: http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/store/artist/album/0,,50802,00.html

The last album by them was released in 1996 and titled X showing that he had added his wife to the team. They wrote an amazing song entitled, "Deliver Me," which had more success when covered that same year by Sarah Brightman. After that, they got more into DJing and haven't gone back to the recording studio since X.

12:05 AM  
Blogger Jenn Doll said...

RT! That's way cool that you downloaded it. You rock.

Yeah, hardcore's hard to appreciate. Most freak out that I like it. Of course when I first heard it, I thought the same thing you probably did. "What the fuck is that?!" I think I was drawn to it because of the beats. The sound of an electric guitar just does something to me. I got past all the screaming and listened to the beats. From doing that, I've actually started to appreciate all the screaming as well.

Strange enough, a lot of hardcore bands are straight up Christian boys. A lot of people think it's lame, but I think it's awesome.

One of my favorite bands that I was recently turned on to is Unearth. Their beats fucking own.

So Jill likes hard stuff?

I have seen some of the music you list and you listen to some good shit too. You'd be surprised the range of music I love. Most people are. I can go from "Autumn To Ashes" to the Beatles and then some hip hop. Go here www.myspace.com/jennsreverie I have a list of lots of the music I like.

3:26 AM  
Blogger RT said...

LOL! Liv is happy to turn Jill onto some hard stuff, even if it was Jenn's idea...

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home