Thursday, June 09, 2005

Neo-Nerd Time!

Being a SCUBA diver and having a deep curiosity of the ocean, I think I've found a new hero in Graham Hawkes (mentioned in my previous post.) By designing the Deep Flight Aviator, Hawkes’ technology has made much of the ocean floor accessible to the rest of us, and by continuing his research, we get the chance to learn more and more about the deeper regions of the ocean. He currently holds the record for the deepest solo dive (3,000 feet!) and is working on a submersible that will reach "the deepest point on the planet, The Mariana Trench, which lies at 37,000 feet beneath the ocean's surface." You can read his story on his website.

Even if it’s not true hero worship yet, his work definitely fascinates me and I plan to keep an eye on him. I just wish I could afford one of those $15,000. pilot classes!

3 Comments:

Blogger Martin said...

We look so often for intelligent life beyond the stratosphere that I think we don't marvel enough at what else is on this planet.

9:47 PM  
Blogger Jenn Doll said...

And you don't wanna stay at the Poseidon Resorts!!

3:16 AM  
Blogger RT said...

I would Love to stay at an underwater resort, Jenn. I just think they could have found a better name for it, lol. Naming an underwater resort after a ship that sank just seems like a bad idea.

7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home