Wednesday, December 07, 2005

This Sucks.

As you probably know by now, I'm a big fan of art. It damn near consumes my private life, whether it be drawing, painting, writing, photography... Whatever! If it’s a means of self expression, a small window into someone’s world, then it’s for me!

Unfortunately, I had that window slammed shut on my own work a few times over the last week or so and I feel the need to tell.

First, on Thanksgiving I went to my sister’s house as usual, only to find that one of my inks had worked it’s way off her wall. I mean, it was bad enough that it had already worked it’s way from the living room, to the bedroom, to the boy’s bathroom... But now it’s gone completely! That sucks, it always was and still is the perfect painting for her!

Then, (and this is by far the worst) I realized that I've lost all the artwork I did while I was younger. I had it all (except what I had given away) in a portfolio, and now it’s gone. Talk about pain! I don’t know what it’s like to be karate kicked in the gut, but it can’t be worse than this.

Actually, I don’t want to talk about that...

Then, I get another letter from Poetry.com. As you’ll recall, I sent a poem to them months ago that I think is one of my best. It’s one that means a lot to me. They made a big deal out of it, and made me feel like it was something good, like someone understood it. But then, I sent in a lame ass poem a few days later, and now I'm getting the same letters for it. They make it sound as good as the first! That bums me out! It’s like, these people could care less what you submit, they’re just trying to make a buck by kissing ass and putting a product out. It shakes my whole opinion of what ‘art’ has become. That sucks!

But, on a brighter note, a cable guy came over yesterday to fix my cable and commented on my most favorite piece of art ever (the sky painting that a friend did for me several years ago.) I love this painting so much, and the fact that someone else liked it too? Well, that just made my day! And he smelled good, too... Talk about the entire package! Wonder if he’ll ever be back :o)

6 Comments:

Blogger LoraLoo said...

Watching my painting slowly work its way out of my sister's house would suck. I haven't an artistic bone in my body but do appreciate it... About ten years ago I dated an artist who painted me a picture of one of my dogs. Okay, it's a dog portrait! But I loved it, it was beautiful, and it was something he took the time to do just for me. I still have it hanging in my office at home!

9:08 AM  
Blogger Martin said...

I think that not everyone is going to enjoy what we create. Heck, it's like trying to introduce my father to music... he'll just listen to his Anita Baker CD. Some people will give it a try and in different surroundings until they find they don't have a place or the highest level of appreciation for it.

When it comes to poetry, there are several companies out there that grab incoming submissions with much praise only to ask later for your purchase of a book that it will be in. After awhile you start thinking that anything you submit will get the same response as long as they sell books. That happened to several of my early writings and it was a good high to feel they were appreciated.

You are the only critic that needs to be listened to. B) The others only pad ego for their own benefit.

6:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Here's my silver lining for you RT, if you ever find the lost artwork again it will be a great high, and if not maybe someday in the future someone will be showing the drawings on Antique Roadshow and will be suprised that they are valuable lost 'RT' originals...

9:04 PM  
Blogger RT said...

That's one of the things that I'm afraid of DDG, that someone will try to sell them, and I won't have enough money to buy them back. I've actually heard of that happening to other artist...

11:42 AM  
Blogger RT said...

Oh god. I feel really sick now... That folder had Shawn's artwork in it too.

11:07 PM  
Blogger RT said...

Oh thank goodness! I found Shawn's stuff. I have to remember to give that back to him before I 'misplace' it again.

12:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home