Sunday, October 31, 2004

Havin' a Blogging Blast!

Here are two controversies that I thought were ancient history, but apparently they’re still pretty hot subjects.

Number one: SUVs!
I read in the paper today that some people are still having a problem with others buying/driving SUVs. "Don’t buy SUVs because they waste gas, they’re a nuisance on the road, they’re dangerous, blah blah blah..."

My opinion? You go ahead and drive whatever the hell you please, because until we do away with all motor vehicles, there’s always going to be a "bad guy" that takes the rap for all things evil on the road. SUVs waste gas? Well so do sport cars, but you don’t hear anyone complaining about them. They’re a nuisance because you can’t see around them on the road? You can’t see around a semi either, but obviously it’s easier to hate your neighbor for obstructing your view, than it is to complain to a trucking company. They’re dangerous because they tip? Well that’s true enough, but then, I think it’s crazy for anyone to own a vehicle that they don’t know how to handle.

I don’t know who started this particular controversy, but it’s one that I find totally absurd. There are so many more ways to conserve our natural resources that are overlooked because they simply are not convenient enough. If people are really as concerned with fuel efficiency and road safety, why don’t we see more buses and trains? Because it’s easier to run your mouth, than it is to practice what you preach.

Number two: Music Piracy!
You would think that with so many "pay per view" music sites available, piracy would no longer be a problem. Unfortunately, there are still a few kinks in the system. Most of those sites only cater to the more popular artist, it’s almost impossible to find older or lesser known songs and artist, and they can also be quite expensive if you don’t know what you’re looking for. That being the case, I’m on the fence with this subject because there are some pretty good arguments for both sides. And if the artists themselves can not decide if it’s wrong or right, how can I?

However, I do believe that if you choose to download from a free source, some basic etiquette should be used out of respect for the artist. First, it’s not cool to download an entire CD instead of buying one, that should be a given. If you enjoy the CD enough to download all of it, at least have the decency to pay for it. Also, give back what you take! If you download (or even if you don’t, for that matter) an artist’s music and enjoy it, brag about them to everyone. Word of mouth is a very powerful thing! There are other ways to support your favorite artists, as well. Go to concerts. Buy T-shirts and other types of memorabilia. When you can afford it, just buy, buy, buy! Remember, if you don’t support them, they will go away.


Thought of the Day:
What do you suppose the celebrities are going to bitch about once the presidential election is over?

Quote of the Day:
Don’t hold strong opinions about things you don’t understand. -Unknown

Favorite Artist:
Karen Kristin! I might be a little bias here because I know her, but I think Karen is one of the Greatest Artist Of All Time!


This is very similar to a painting Karen did for me.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chrissie agian!
I LOVE the picture!!!!!!!!!!!!
Clouds R a particular passion of mine at the mo.......If money was NO object I would get an amazing digi camera and photograph clouds.......I would love to have an iMac G5 to play about with my photos too.
Clouds fasinate (SP??) me so much. The way they change and we love to find things in clouds.......I saw a beautiful set of Angels wings in the clouds and if I had the said digi camera I could have had an amazing picture of them.

OK my parents have a 4x4 and NO-ONE over here complains about them at all! There was a thing about bull bars on the front of 4x4's BUT thats been about it.
Speeding is something people R big on here and speed cameras R the bane(SP??) of everyones lifes.

Regarding piracy.....I think that to dl a whole CD is ok as long as ALL the money goes to the band/artist........
For example a whole CD dl should cost half of the shops prices and ALL that money then goes to the band/artist.......Cos I believe bands only get a cut from CD sales! That way the band gets way more money!
Enter my ideal world.....LOL

9:48 AM  
Blogger RT said...

What? Are you kidding???

You (and believe it or not, Nat) have turned me on to more great music than anyone I know! (Moonspell, Disturbed, Evanescence, Blackmore's night, Eva Cassidy, not to mention feeding my Procol Harem obssesion... The list goes on and on!) I actually feel ashamed that I've only turned you on to Alex and TSO, lol.

And movies... OMG! The movies... I swear, there are more actors/actresss eating steak dinners because of YOU.

Tell me word of mouth doesn't pay off, I dare ya!

12:49 PM  
Blogger nevermore said...

I don't know, I think filesharing is a good thing, think about it. First of there will always be people who buy the cds, I can't imagine any artists starving because a few kids download their songs instead of buying the cds. More importantly though, you get the chance to hear what you'd buy if you'd buy the cd, in the age of the single (2 good songs on a cd and the rest is garbage) buying a cd isn't always a good choice. I just hate getting a cd putting it in the cd player and after +- an hour of listening realize that the only songs that are worth listening to are the ones that they made a musicvideo for. In my emmediate surroundings I see 2 cds of Alice Cooper 1 of Everlast and 1 of Megadeth, I could name a lot of other bands of whom I wouldn't download any songs but these are artists I trust not to make a cd with only 2 good songs on it. Of all the rest I try before I buy, I'm too poor and definitly too cheap to waste my money on crappy artists

11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home