Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Garage Sale Hell

I just had my very first garage sale this past weekend. Usually, I’m the kind of person who will take my stuff to someone else’s garage sale, or I’ll watch someone else’s sale for them, but this is the first time I had one at my own house, with my own stuff and let me tell you, I gained a whole new perspective for this chore! If you’ve never taken on the project yourself, it can be very disheartening. After cleaning everything and setting it up to look presentable, I had to watch as people shifted through and sneered at my little trinkets and tidbits that have taken me a lifetime to accumulate, and some of which still hold dear memories. Of course, most of the people were considerate, but there were those few that made jail time for murder look not quite so unreasonable.

The rain that came Sat also made me think that I may have chosen the wrong career field. All week the meteorologists predicted that we would have a nice weekend, but come Sat, they changed their minds and we had rain. If you think about it, being a meteorologist would have to be about the easiest "ist" job out there. No matter what you say, you have about a 50 percent chance of being right, (it’s going to rain this weekend, it’s not going to rain this weekend.) And as long as you don’t say it’s going to snow in the middle of summer, people are most likely going to forgive you when you’re wrong. What better gig could a person ask for?!?

Thought of the Day:
Why do so many performers feel the need to express their political views at concerts and such? Isn’t the whole idea of entertainment to get away from the "real world" and to enjoy yourself for a couple of hours?

Quote of the Day:
Here is the test to find whether your mission on earth is finished. If you're alive, it isn't. - Richard Bach

If I Could Be An Animal For the Day:
I think I would be an opossum today. I’m not feeling very motivated, I’d rather just hang around.

9 Comments:

Blogger amanda jane said...

On your thought of the day: so true, live music is my escape and the last thing I want to hear after a rockin' cover of Freebird is "Bush..blah blah blah...and Kerry Blah...blah. Good thought, I'll share that with some of my musicial friends, I'm sure they will appreciate it!

1:49 PM  
Blogger Matt D said...

As you probably picked up from some of my posts earlier, I went to see The Who in concert over the summer. During the concert, I sort of half expected to hear something about the current political situation. But I heard something a little different from Pete Townshend, the lead guitarist.
I really liked it, and it was something like, "You know, it's so easy being from over there (The Who is from the UK), and relying on you over here to help us out. We just go do our thing, and wait for you to come bail us out. So whatever you guys do is kind of alright by us. And we just want to wish you the very best in the upcoming struggle you have ahead. Not to get into politics or anything, I've got no position, but best of luck."

As for a comical point, this is where my girlfriend turns to me and says, "That's right, they'd all be speaking German if it wasn't for us." I love her to death :)

2:54 AM  
Blogger Matt D said...

Just to play the devil's advocate...for a new band trying to make a name for themselves, even after they sign a record deal, their career really relies on album and ticket sales. If downloading is chewing up their livelihood, it can only hurt them. I think it's just fine for established bands to do that, but newer, promising bands feel a pinch, I am sure.

3:34 PM  
Blogger RT said...

Ah! But just think Matty, if you're a newer band just starting out, wouldn't you want your music to reach millions of listeners? There have been CDs that I have bought just because I unexpectedly heard a song I liked on my download program.

And, if you think about it, this has been going on since music first started being recorded. You borrow a CD, or tape, or album or even (if you're as old as I am, lol) and 8 track from a friend, if you like what you hear, you go buy one for yourself.

This is just my experience, but the only people I've heard complaining about others downloading thier music are the ones that put out maybe one or two decent songs on a $15 CD, then the rest of the songs they don't even bother to try on.

8:41 PM  
Blogger RT said...

Here's another thought, what about those second hand CD stores? Do the bands get anything extra when thier CDs are sold twice? Seeing how both the internet downloading and the second hand stores came out about the same time, how can they be so sure they are loosing money from the downloads?

1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its Chrissie....SEE I am here.
Just trying it out.........LIV UR online....Yahoo??

1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chrissie again.
Here in the UK we don't really do garage sales. We have car boot sales....Lots of people selling out of thier cars.....LOL

1:41 PM  
Blogger RT said...

Chrissie, girlfriend! Glad you finally made it over! I'm looking forward to hearing you comment on my day to day postings :o)

Speaking of which... What the hell, a car boot sale? How much "stuff" can you fit into a Car? LOL

2:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmmmm car boots....I guess thats a trunk to U all over the pond!!
Well most people tend to go to organised boot sales.......U book a place and most people generally have a table and sell stuff from that. People go every week.....OR so I am told.

2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home